MOVES (Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator) - Frequent Questions
This "Frequently Asked Questions" web page does not create any new requirements. The questions on this page were submitted by people using MOVES for a wide range of analytical and/or regulatory purposes. The answers are largely based on a number of existing MOVES technical and policy guidance documents, the MOVES user guide, and other MOVES technical documents, which are cited in the responses as appropriate. While every attempt has been made to assure consistency with these documents, in all cases users should refer back to the original EPA documents that are posted on the MOVES web page, other EPA web pages, and any applicable regulations and statutes. Throughout the answers, we have tried to note instances where a particular answer applies only in certain circumstances or where a particular approach might be required for a SIP or conformity submission. EPA retains the discretion to adopt approaches on a case-by-case basis that may differ from the answers and existing EPA guidance but still comply with the statute and applicable regulations. This web page may be revised periodically without public notice. As always, we recommend that you consult your EPA Regional office for specific implementation questions.
- ViewedMost Popular Topics
- 10565When should MOVES2010 or MOVES2010a be used for SIP and transportation conformity analyses?
- 10435How do I avoid mistakes when a table contains multiple runs? I’ve noticed that if a table includes output from multiple runs, it is very easy to mistakenly sum them together, thereby drastically increasing emissions.
- 10277I had a question about doing a MOVES run in Emission Rate Mode. Does the meteorology tab for inputs have to be satisfied to run the model in this mode? If you do not use your own input file, will the defaults automatically be used for the run?
- 9991The template created for IM Programs contains rows for all source types and all fuel types; however MOVES does not provide I/M benefits for all source types and fuel types. How do you recommend creating an Excel input table for the IM Programs which I can then import using the County Data Manager?
- 9828It seems that there is no air toxics ratio table in the default MOVES database. How does MOVES determine the air toxics ratios?
- Most Recent Topics
- 9/25/2014Does MOVES2014 have a fuel year where the fuel properties are held constant? What was the last year for actually sampled data for fuels in MOVES2014?
- 9/25/2014I’m having trouble figuring out how the fuel regions relate back to counties. I can’t find where the two are linked. How would I define what county is in each fuel region?
- 9/25/2014Are the NO values in the MOVES output files actually NO (molecular weight 30), or is the NO expressed as NO2 (molecular weight 46)?
- 8/4/2014Can I have both MOVES2010b and MOVES2014 in the same computer and login, and yet continue to get exactly same results from MOVES2010b as before? In other words, I am not just interested in running both version, but want my 2010b results to be backward compatible. Is it possible for both the 2010b and 2014 databases to coexist.
- 3/4/2013What is the difference between extended idling and normal idling? Is it possible to get distinct idling emission output for any vehicle type? Can this be done in the emission rate mode, or only inventory mode?
- Mobile 6.2 Transition
- Moves Version